Constructed near Lyford Road in 1852 by the Rev. James Craig. At the time it was the largest reflecting telescope in the world.
However, problems with the lens and increasing pollution meant it lasted only a few years. It was dismantled, with little trace remaining, save for a few bricks used in the construction of the buildings on the corner of Bellevue Road and Trinity Road.